Spring showers have brought us May flowers and we are paddling into great kayaking season! As a community that enjoys living by the water, summer is always a special time – although our neighboring ice-fishermen would have other thoughts! ?
As swimmers enjoy warm waves crashing into the Lake Winnebago beaches, kayakers cut through the heart of the Valley’s Fox River, and SUP paddlers venture through secret inlets, it’s also a time to be conscious about water safety. This safety information is not only for kids, but for adults too!
Here at Fox River Kayaking Company we take safety very seriously. We know how to have fun, but no one is having fun if it’s not safe! Our team has been trained in emergency response, carries dry bags fitted with safety gear, and is experienced on the routes that we take to know exactly where to navigate for a successful adventure!
Below you will find a few safety recommendations for a Kayaker or Stand Up Paddle Boarder:
- Be mindful of the weather! Wind direction, cold water, storms, and blistering hot days can turn a happy day to a troubled day quickly if not managed correctly.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the day’s activities – wear layers if it’s chilly and wear UV protective clothing on sunny days!
- Always wear your properly fitted PFD!
- Be aware of other boaters on the water – we’re all here to share the waterways and have a good time, but always be alert of your surroundings.
- Tell a friend where you are headed and how long your outing will be!
- Hide your pride, tell your guide! If you have any worries before or during one of our guided excursions, it is important that you let us know before anything goes wrong – we want everyone to feel safe, comfortable, and happy. Good communication on the water is a must!
- Grow with the flow – as the PFD above says, always be prepared for conditions to change while on your outing. We recommend bringing dry clothes, plenty of water, and a first aid kit.
This list is not extensive, and we always take extra precautions dependent on the group with whom we are kayaking. Many of these tips are useful for any outdoor activity, not just adventures on the water! Each water outing is unique and one must be mindful of their environment and circumstances to take the appropriate safety steps and have a great time out on the water!
Everyone needs to stay extra vigilant and look out for each other out on the water to ensure that everyone is safe because when you are safe, you are having fun!
This may be our first publication about safety but it won’t be our last! Although it is not the most fun topic to go over, it truly is the most important.
Every one of our guided excursions starts with a safety discussion before launch. Every rental is supported with safety advice for success out on the water. Even if you don’t join us for a guided excursion or rent our gear, everyone is encouraged to reach out to us for information on how to be successful on our local water ways! We never want to see anyone get hurt or worse. The safety of our community is our number one priority!
Stay safe and have fun on the water!
Comments are closed.