Lightning storms can be scary, exciting, and beautiful to watch all at once! It’s a powerful show of nature but what exactly is happening as a lightning storms rolls through?
Lightning is simply an electrical discharge caused by an energy imbalance. Most lightning occurs within clouds but some end up striking the earth. Check out this video to learn how it all works! https://youtu.be/Cz_uYBx1G5s
Some random facts about lightning:
- Lightning is extremely hot! It can heat up to 5 or 6 times hotter than the surface of the sun!
- One bolt of lightning can contain up to one billion volts of electricity!
- Lightning can be lethal with about 2,000 people being killed by lightning each year.
Lightning Safety Tips:
- When thunder roars, go indoors!
- Avoid touching electrical appliances or water during a lightning storm.
- If you can’t get inside during a storm, avoid hilltops, fields, and areas with tall or isolated trees.