Safety is always our number one priority, but adventuring inherently comes with risk. It’s that dance on the edge that creates the thrill of the adventure and makes the Fox River fun to paddle!
Accidents can and will happen while kayaking but mitigating this as much as possible is key. Here are steps kayakers can take before an adventure to ensure everyone is safe!
- Clearly communicate the plan and the route with your group so everyone is on the same page!
- Review techniques needed to successfully navigate the water route.
- Review safety actions to take if an emergency occurs.
- Check equipment before launch and wear a PFD while out on the water.
- Double-check that everyone is feeling comfortable and confident and answer any other questions before launch.
This is only a brief overview of what to do before launch to be safe and have fun out on the water!
Taking appropriate and calculated risks encourages personal responsibility, increases self-confidence, and builds judgment skills. Conquering your adventure safely leads to a sense of accomplishment which can become a bit addicting (you know who you are adventure junkie).
See you out on the water! Stay safe and look out for others floating!